[vortex] 3c900 -COMBO Media Type Problems

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 02:47:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Dohan wrote:

> I have a 3Com 3c900-COMBO ethernet card. In windows my internet speed
> is extremly slow (100 bytes/sec). To fix this I have to goto setting
> and change media type to "10mbs half-duplex"
>
> Now in linux I get the same 100 bytes/sec so I need to change the
> media type. I can't succesfully do this. I believe there is three ways
> I can do this, and all three don't work:
>
> 1) Upgrade to the 3c90x drivers.
>         Problem: When I try to insmod the 3c90x I just compiled, I get
> the error init_module: Device or resource busy

That's because the 3Com driver only supports their recent cards.  It's
much easier to write a driver that only has to support a small number of
cards.

> 2) Use the 3c59x drivers and use "insmod 3c59x.o debug=1 full_duplex=0
> options=0"  I have also tried using options=8. Nothing works

Try options=2.

> 3) Use vortex-diag. I use "vortex-diag -F 10baseT"  doesn't change,
> even if I try to set it to 10base2 which I know won't work, it still
> doesn't change.

The media setting code isn't including in the released vortex-diag program.

> I am looking for ANY way to change this one setting. I'm not even
> positive of what it's supposed to be. I don't really know what I'm
> doing so please be basic. Here is some other infomation about my
> system:
> vortex-diag.c:v2.04 1/8/2001 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
>  http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
> Index #1: Found a 3c900 Boomerang 10Mbps Combo adapter at 0x1040.
> Parsing the EEPROM of a 3Com Vortex/Boomerang:
>  3Com Node Address 00:A0:24:D2:FF:E1 (used as a unique ID only).
>  OEM Station address 00:A0:24:D2:FF:E1 (used as the ethernet address).
>  Manufacture date (MM/DD/YYYY) 7/25/1996, division 6, product FP.

How did this get set?