[vortex] Re: vortex digest, Vol 1 #189 - 4 msgs

David Rosenthal dshr@abitare.org
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:13:51 -0700

> Do you have somebody with Cisco-experience around? If so, you can try to see
> if Cish works. http://www.tarball.net/cish/
>
> I know for a fact that Cish works with 905C-cards. Cish was build by a
> former collegue, and does more or less the same as LRP (is built on its
> foundations, even). Its main feature is cisco IOS-compatible syntax, because
> both he and I prefer IOS over UNIX-style configs.

Sorry,  Ruben,  but this isn't a solution.

The problem here is the driver,  not the utilities.  We have cases
with a 3c905 where the driver works and almost identical hardware
with a 3c905 where it doesn't work.   Similar motherboards with Tulip
and Intel cards work fine.  The *identical* binary with *identical*
network configuration in all cases.

The cases where the driver works show that everything else in the system is
fine.  So if Cish uses a Linux kernel (or at least uses the same 2.2.18
kernel we do) it will have the exact same problem.

	David.