[vortex] cyclone: howto pausing during an upload

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 17:08:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Joel Hollingsworth wrote:

> Does anyone know of a method to force the cyclone to
> upload a single fragment (maybe just the header),
> generate an interrupt, allow the driver to handle
> the interrupt (i.e. reset the address for the next
> fragment), and then continue on with the upload
> of the second fragment.
>
> Yep, I would like to prefetch the header and then
> use the header before fetching the packet data.

If this is for a specific project, you should look at the SMSC EPIC chip
that explicitly allows using the chip in this manner.

If you plan to introduce a general mechanism for multiple chips, give up.
Most chips are really unhappy about restarting when they run out of
descriptors/buffers before the whole packet is received.

I suspect that you can get a specific 3Com chip model to work OK in this
mode, but you shouldn't count on your driver being portable to other chips.

410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Beowulf-II Cluster Distribution
Annapolis MD 21403