[vortex] Problems with installing 3Com 3C900 card in Debian Linux

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:47:59 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Hursti Roni wrote:

> I'll try to install 3c59x module in (debian setup) and I give in command
> line like this
>
> 3c59x options=0 irq=9 io=0x1000

"irq" and "io" options are only for non-PnP ISA based cards which cannot
be detected automatically. You don't need to specify them for your PCI
card.

> When I'm looking cat /proc/pci it says
>
> 	Bus 0, device 14, function 0
> 	3Com 3C900 10b Combo (rev )
> 	IRQ 9. Latency=64
> 	Min Gnt=3. Max Lat=8
> 	I/O at 0x1000

The card is seen on the PCI bus, but...

> cat /proc/ioports
> cat /proc/interrupts

... if the driver does not detect it (because of the forced irq and io),
it will not register memory and assign an interrupt, so the results are
normal.

Sincerely,