[vortex] Problems compiling 3c59x-55x-2217.c

Fred Maciel fred-m@crl.hitachi.co.jp
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 09:49:54 +0900

Dear David,

> Adding  -I/usr/src/linux/include fixed the problem. The command now looks
like:

I'm glad that it worked. Just for the record:
- Debian also needs this option added.
- The module seemingly does not compile in Red Hat 7.0, with or without this
addition (Sigh... Donald: I'll download the "docs" CD image and give a look
if they mention this; if I can't find anything I'll post a bug in Red Hat
Bugzilla to get a workaround from them -- it worked when I had the same kind
of problem in a previous version of Red Hat...).

BTW, I'll update the README file when I can.

> As an aside - is it OK to replace the 3c59x.{o,c} with the
3c59x-55x-2217.{o,c} and
> just do a make modules_install instead of the procedure outlined in the
README
> (trying to simplify the procedure for a non-techie at a remote site)?

In theory it should work: the 3c59x-55x-2217.c is nothing more than the
3c59x.c of 2.2.17 with some patches that don't change the external
interfaces. But I'm not sure that this would simplify the procedure for a
non-techie: if you do so, you will have to re-compile the whole kernel. If
you just compile the module you don't need to re-compile the kernel.

> It was a pristine kernel from ftp.kernel.org which compiled cleanly. It
was
> running on an HP Omnibook 6000/550 Celeron that had Mandrake installed
> earlier in the day. It shows 6056 when I cat /proc/info but whatever it is

/proc/info? You mean /proc/pci, I presume.

If your adapter has PCI ID = 6056, then 3c59x-55x-2217.c is *not* going to
work. However, the driver for this chip should be ready Real Soon Now (R),
keep an eye for the discussion on the "3c556B" (not "3c556", which is the
one with PCI ID = 6055).

BTW, can you confirm that the HP Omnibook 6000/550 uses the adapter with PCI
ID = 6056?

Regards,

                         Fred Maciel
                         E-mail  fred-m@crl.hitachi.co.jp

Disclaimer:
I don't speak for Hitachi,
I don't know who speaks for Hitachi,
I don't want to know who speaks for Hitachi.