[vortex] 3cSOHO100-Tx Speed Problem

ruben@nutz.nl ruben@nutz.nl
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 23:55:41 +0100

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 10:25:01AM -0600, Mark Lubratt wrote:

> When I power up the computer, the link comes up at 100Mbs (as indicated on
> the status lights both on the hub and the NIC).  It stays that way through
> driver loading until the network is brought up.  At that point, the system
> downshifts to 10Mbs.

Please do realize that many *hubs*, even though they say to be 10/100,
support just *one* speed, and that in that case the lowest speed wins. IE:
You have five machines on your hub. One has a 509, the rest has 100Mbit
cards. All your machines will be forced to 10Mbit operations.

(For mixed speeds to work, the hub needs to have a per-port buffer.
Otherwise it cannot forward broadcast to ports running on a different speed
as the originating port.)

--

Ruben