DnStall period

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Sat May 13 02:16:36 2000

On Sat, 13 May 2000, Andrew Morton wrote:
> With this setup I was seeing the wait_for_completion() function fall
> through after 2,000 loops several times a minute.  I was also frequently
> seeing the maxCollisions threshold exceeded.
> I have attached to this email my debug version of
> wait_for_completion().  I am using the 2.3.99-pre7 driver.
> http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/3c59x.c-2.3.99-pre7-1-1.gz (I think
> this is unchanged...)

AAAAAaaarrrrrggggggg!!!
Ignore my previous message about how what you were seeing could not happen.

I was assuming you were talking about something similar to my driver.
I just checked out that code above, and realize why you are having problems,
and why you consider the 3c905 to be slow.

The driver above is completely bogus for both the Boomerang and Cyclone.
Of *course* you are are overrunning the wait_for_completion() check.
You are also wasting hunders or thousands of PCI cycles on most transmits.

That transmit code is *just* *wrong*.

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Scyld Computing Corporation
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210