3c59x with linuxppc

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De
Thu May 4 07:05:05 2000

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Andreas Tobler wrote:

> The first(3c590) works with a minor modification with the stock sources,
> the second (3c905b) works with no mods.
> Oops, nothing works anymore. A freeze occurs where I have to reboot.
> Unforunately the freeze doesn't show me any crash dumps.

This is strange because the driver mainly was changed from cli/sti to
spinlocks.

> I put tons of printk's into the whole code. This showed me that I leave

There are already a lot of printk's in the code, you just have to set
vortex_debug to a higher value.

> After the leaving of vortex_open I get some more enter/leave of the
> function set_rx_mode. After these messages the freeze occurs

Set_rx_mode should be called only once from vortex_open AFAIK. It is also
called from vortex_error (so this can happen an unlimited number of
times) on HostError handling; however, just before this there is an error
message that should appear: 'Host error: FIFO diagnostic register...'
which is not mentioned by you. Does this message appear?

> So my question, is this patch working under intel or other Linuxen?

Yes, it's working for me on Intel SMP. However, I also have some
hard-to-reproduce locks which seem to appear after more than 24h of
continuous high load.

> I suppose I may have a problem with the spin_lock stuff.

AFAIK, spinlocks should work the same on different HW architectures; as
they work for me and Andrew, I seriously doubt that they are guilty.

I would like to see the messages produced by the driver with a higher
vortex_debug value (f.e. 5); the existing printk's offer good info about
what is going on. To get them on the console you should have:
kern.*		/dev/console
in your /etc/syslog.conf file.

Sincerely,