[vortex] Wake On Lan under Linux]

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 17:54:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, douglas irvine wrote:

> I'm a newbie to these lists, and can't seem to find any definite info on
> WOL under linux.
>
> 1) Is this feature available under Linux (RedHat 6.2 is what we are
> running)?

Yes, we've had Wake-On-LAN (WOL) support for about two years.

See
  http://www.scyld.com/expert/wake-on-lan.html
for a basic web page describing some details.

For the discussion below I'll assume that you are asking about 3Com PCI
cards only.

> 2) If so, what cards support this? ( I have seen preliminary indications
> from last year's mailing list for vortex)

The 3c905B and 905C generations both have WOL for twisted pair media types.
(Errrmm, well, perhaps not for 100baseT4.)

> 3) What software is required for setting the WOL modes/ or power states

For the 3Com cards you'll need 3c59x.c v0.99L or later, in their original
versions.  Modified versions of the 3c59x.c have not been tested, so I
suggest that you start with an original driver from
   http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html

Some chips power up ready to do Wake-on-LAN.  The 3Com chips do not, so
you'll first need to boot the target machine and load a driver that
explicitly configures the chip into WOL mode.

You'll also need the 'ether-wake' program from
     ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/diag/ether-wake.c

This wake-up program must be installed on the controlling machine.  It won't
do much good on the machine that's asleep.

> ?(I have read conflicting things about hard/soft powerdowns, the default
> states the linux creates via the "shutdown -h " command, etc.)

After loading the driver on the target machine, record the Ethernet station
address in the detection message.  Shut the target machine down and do a
soft-power-off.  Do not switch power completely off with the power supply
switch, or the card will lose its WOL configuration.

>From the control machine run something like
  [root@vaio log]# ~becker/diag/ether-wake 00:50:04:7c:6e:8c
with the correct station address for your card.

This will turn on the target machine.

[[ Yes, the exact line above just turned on a Abit BP-6 motherboard with a
3c905C plugged in with a WOL cable. ]]

410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Annapolis MD 21403