[vortex] 3C905TX doesn't see 10Mbps hub till unplugged/replugged

Bill Newcomb nuke@best.com
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 21:33:35 -0700

On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 12:37:49PM +0200, Bogdan Costescu wrote:

> I meant: after insmod, is the network working, or you still need to
> unplug/plug the cable to get it working?

Rmmod and then insmod doesn't make it come up; I still need to
unplug/replug to make it work.  Once I've done the unplug/replug, if I
rmmod, the light doesn't go out.

Also, I'd like to clarify that the 10Mbps light on the card is
apparently on nearly all the time--it's the light on the hub that's
not coming on.  Sorry for the confusion--I must have been at a bad
angle when I thought I observed the card's light not on.  But the card
light is on whenever the card is plugged into the hub.  So someone in
the card knows that the hub is there...

> I'd like to see the messages issued by the driver when you start it the
> first time (after you turn on the computer) and at a later insmod (of
> course after a rmmod) from /var/log/messages.

Messages from both events appear identical:

3c59x.c:v0.99Q 5/16/2000 Donald Becker, becker@scyld.com
http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
eth0: 3Com 3c905 Boomerang 100baseTx at 0xef00,  00:60:08:38:e6:a1, IRQ 9
8K word-wide RAM 3:5 Rx:Tx split, autoselect/MII interface.
MII transceiver found at address 24, status 7849.
Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.

> Also, when you unplug/plug the cable, is the card working immediately or
> you have to wait some seconds up to a minute to work?

Hub light comes on immediately once I plug the cable back in.

> And finally, when you boot the computer, is the LED on before Linux
> initialize the network?

Card LED is on shortly after I power up the machine.  Hub LED doesn't
come on till I unplug/replug, at which time it comes on immediately
and I immediately have access to the network.

Again, sorry for the confusion.  I'm having to write this on the
machine in question, and I keep having to stop in the middle and
reboot to make observations, hence confusing myself.

Thanks,
-B.

--
nuke@best.com
"If you build it, they will complain."  --J. Slater