[vortex] 3c900B-TPO Etherlink XL Card - Many Problems...

Dave DellaCosta amarodeeps@mindspring.com
Sun, 09 Jul 2000 13:18:30 -0400

Hello All,
Hmm...where should I start...

Working with Mandrake 7, but
I just downloaded the 2.2.16 kernel,
compiled, and installed it, works fine.
I configured it with the 3c59x support,
but it appears that my NIC is just not
being seen when I boot.  I thought it
might be that Linux doesn't know what
IRQ, I/O address, but I don't know how
to figure that out?  Looked in /proc/pci,
but I'm afraid I don't know what to do
with that info...I'm lost.  I do dmesg,
and the driver is there, but...what now!?
Sorry for my ignorance here, I just don't
know what to do.

So, I decided to go to the Linux Network
Drivers vortex page, and get the newest
version of 3c59x.c as Mr. Becker had
suggested to Janine Porter (June mailing
list archives).  I tried both versions,
ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/3c59x.c
as well as
ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/test/3c59x.c,
When I finally got them to compile using
the Makefile in /pub/network (I had a whole
host of problems getting them to compile,
but I shall say no more...),
I tried insmod 3c59x.o and got:

3c59x.o: unresolved symbol acpi_wake
3c59x.o: unresolved symbol acpi_set_pwr_state
3c59x.o: unresolved symbol pci_drv_unregister
3c59x.o: unresolved symbol pci_drv_register

This whole time I'm getting:
eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found
(I'm sure somebody's seen that before)
when I run 'ifconfig eth0'

I'm now just flustered, frustrated and stumped.

Arrr...the worst part is that I'm basically
wandering about, stabbing in the dark.  I want to
learn more about this stuff (as well as
just get the damn card to work!!) but I don't
really know where to start.  Any pointers
in the right direction would be really
appreciated.

And my final question I guess would be:
Was I on the right track with compiling support
into the kernel and did I do something wrong
there, or should I keep trying to get the
module to work, and did I do something wrong
there?

Thanks much for any help.
-Dave DellaCosta