[vortex] 3c905C packet losses: SOLVED

Giuseppe Ciaccio ciaccio@disi.unige.it
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 21:30:21 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello,

I tried the untested patch from Andrew Morton, after changing the "outb"
to "outw"; the packet loss persisted.

Anyway, I have tracked down and fixed my problem at last!

It was a defective UTP cable :)))

That cable was OK with other NICs, and was also OK with the repeater hub;
however, it was KO when connecting the Intel Express 510T switch to a
3COM 3c905C adapter.  Once replaced by a _certified_ class 5 UTP cable,
everything worked perfectly (even using the very old and ``predator''
driver 099H).

...at least, now I have a good tester for UTP cables (and will not
discontinue supporting GAMMA for this NIC).

Please accepty my sincere apologies for having bothered you all with such
a silly problem.

Thank you a lot for your support!

Giuseppe

Giuseppe Ciaccio               http://www.disi.unige.it/person/CiaccioG/
DISI - Universita' di Genova   via Dodecaneso 35   16146 Genova,   Italy
phone +39 10 353 6638          fax +39 010 3536699 ciaccio@disi.unige.it