[vortex] Errors!!

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:10:08 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, DrDeath wrote:

> So you think my card is set to half duplex when it should be at full duplex?
> and one of them is trying to autonegotiate (what ever that is). How would i
> change this Properties so that i can make it full-duplex (or what ever it
> needs) and the other thing it needs. (autonegotiate).

The collisions are reported only when the card is in half-duplex, so the
switch is forced to full-duplex (or it does not support autonegotiation).

The recommended way is to try to get the switch to autonegotiate, then
problems would go away; how to do this is specific to every switch, so I
cannot help - read the documentation that came with it.
The "ugly" way is to force the card to work in full-duplex mode; you
should edit your /etc/conf.modules to look like:

alias eth0 3c59x
options 3c59x full_duplex=1

However, you should still try to get mii-diag and verify that everything
is set correctly.

> Also is it normal to get collisions:5706 ?  or should that be 0?

Should be 0; the collisions are generated by the duplex mismatch.

Sincerely,