[vortex] Problems forcing a 3c905 card's media type

Shane Wegner shane@cm.nu
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:20:30 -0700

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 05:01:36PM +0200, Bogdan Costescu wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Shane Wegner wrote:
> > I thought the same thing and it's kind of a long story.  To summarize.
> > Bought switch performed half as well as hub (dlink dss8+ 10/100mbps btw).
> > Called tech support and there explanation was that 3com's cards didn't do
> > autonegotiation correctly.  Forcing all cards to 100mbps full duplex should
> > solve the problem.  Whether this is correct or not I don't know but I'd like
> > to give them the benefit of the doubt.
>
> One thing that you can try with the current driver is:
> "options=4 full_duplex=1". Please report the results.

That seemed to work though it was still half speed so I went back to the hub
*shrug*.  Thanks for your help.

PS: In my search for an answer yesterday, I tried the 3c90x driver from
3com.  Is this driver better or worse performance and stability wise
assuming the card is supported by 3c90x?

Cheers,
Shane

--
Shane Wegner: shane@cm.nu