[vortex] Trunking with 3c980C

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 19:44:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Leo Rodolfo Schmitz wrote:

> My question: The NIC 3c980C supports trunking in your windows NT driver,
> right? The linux driver support it? How can I do it works with linux?

Except 3Com guys that might be on this list, I think that nobody has
written a Windows NT driver 8-)

The trunking (sometimes also called bonding) is a Linux facility that is
separate from the network driver; it exists in recent kernels (I think
>=2.2.16) and can run on top of any network driver, you can even bond
different network cards together.

In order for the bonding to work, you need to enable the bonding
capabilities in the kernel at compile time (RedHat latest kernel 2.2.16-3
has this already enabled) then to follow the indications found in the
kernel tree in the Documentation/networking/bonding.txt file.

Sincerely,