[vortex] eth0: PCI bus error, bus status 80000020.

David Hinds dhinds@valinux.com
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 15:54:18 -0700

On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 06:52:02PM -0400, Donald Becker wrote:

> > Two intermittent problems.  Occasionally, when I insert the card, I get
> > this: "cs: warning: no high memory space available!"
>
> PCMCIA setup bug.

This message should not be intermittent.  Normally it means that
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts does not specify a high memory window like
0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff.  If it doesn't, you should get this message
once each time you start PCMCIA.

> > Much more often (maybe one time in 3), I insert the card, it beeps once,
> > and then when it should beep the second time I get this:
> >
> > eth0: Host error, FIFO diagnostic register 0000.
> > eth0: PCI bus error, bus status 80000020.
>
> Another PCMCIA setup bug, except this one is much harder to track down.
> The CardBus bridge chip isn't configured correctly.
> This is a real bus problem, not a false report.

I've gotten a few reports of these PCI bus errors.  They have indeed
been very hard to track down, since they are specific to particular
hardware combinations, and I've never been able to reproduce them.

-- Dave