3C900 & cable modem

Robert Montgomery robert.l.montgomery@home.com
Thu Jan 21 16:29:17 1999

Hello,

I recently installed RedHat Linux 5.2 and a few days later I got hooked
up to the net using a cable modem through the @Home network.  I'm
trying to get this all working in Linux and havent been able to figure
it out.

I've got the 3C900 ethernet card, which is supported under RedHat 5.2
and the 3c59x.o module which is an option when adding an ethernet
adapter.  Problem is that whenever I "activate it" and save the changes
it apparantly doesnt activate it, because if I exit the Network
configurator
and reopen it, the adapter is de-activated again....

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone else out there has been able
to get this ethernet card working with a cable modem...   I read
somewhere
that it wasnt possible because it relied on a Microsoft client for DHCP,
but
I have a static IP and thought I would be able to configure it manually.

I have yet to succeed, but I think a large part of that is that I cant
seem
to even get past the ethernet card itself!

Well, since I havent seen any traffic on this list, I'd see if anyone is
out there.
Thanks.

Rob
Robert.L.Montgomery@home.com