alpha 164lx + 3com 905b

Oscar Stiffelman ozzie@cs.stanford.edu
Fri Aug 21 17:59:05 1998

Hi,

I am running RedHat version 4.2 on a Dec Alpha 164LX workstation.
I recently switched from a Tulip card to the 3Com905b PCI card.  I am
using driver "3c59x.c:v0.99E 5/12/98" by Donald Becker, and I am running
AlphaBios with ARC-Console.  I recompiled the kernel by copying the new
3c59x.c file over the old /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/3c59x.c file and then
issued a make xconfig (and selecting 'y' next to the 3c590 cards), and
then make clean; make dep; make boot.

When the system booted up, it said "delaying initialization of eth0."
When I tried to do ifup ifcfg-eth0, it again said "delaying
initialization.

Does anybody know how to fix this problem?  Alternatively, has anybody
managed to get any 3com 100 Mbit cards to work in the Dec Alpha 164LX with
Redhat?

Thanks,

Oscar Stiffelman
ozzie@cs.stanford.edu
Stanford University Computer Science Department, Masters student in AI
Genetic Programming Inc., developer for the 1000 node 500MHz Alpha Beowulf
project.