[tulip] Tulip and PowerPC endian issue?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu Jan 30 14:11:00 2003

On 30 Jan 2003, Jim Rowe wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 10:51, Donald Becker wrote:
> > On 30 Jan 2003, Jim Rowe wrote:
> > > As  you suggested I used the tulip driver from Scyld in the
> > > netdrivers-3.3.tgz package and I still get the same byte swapped MAC
> > > address.
> >
> > Rename the old tulip driver, hard-reset the machine, and the Scyld
> > driver will report the correct address.
>
> I tried this with no success. I'm positive I'm not using the old tulip
> driver from the kernel source tree. Any ideas?

This is an issue that is unique to the Comet: once the old Tulip driver
is run, the address will remain byte-reversed until the chip is
completely powered off.  The Comet chip is a case where re-loading the
driver will not clear the problem.

If this is a laptop, you must remove the battery, not just reboot.