[tulip] PNIC or Centaur?

John Clemens john@deater.net
Mon Feb 3 03:00:01 2003

A loaded question: Which of these two tulip clones is a "better"
implementation?  ie, less prone to transmit timeouts under heavy load?

I'm still having problems with transmit timeouts under heavy NFS read load
while using my linksys v4.1 centaur card, no matter which driver I use
(stock kernel or latest Becker).  This same card had worked flawlessly for
over a year until i replaced a failed HD with a new faster one. (i posted
about it last week)

Anyway, this card obviously doesn't like real heavy transmit loads for
some reason, so I was thinking about swapping it with an older PNIC based
linksys that's currently in my router... so I'd like to know if the PNIC
based cards are more "robust" under heavy trasmit loads or not?  or am I
barking up the wrong tree?

thoughts?
john.c

--