[tulip] DLINK DFE-570TX forcing 100TX-FD under linux 2.4.x

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue Mar 26 16:28:01 2002

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Ingar Øyahals wrote:

> Subject: [tulip] DLINK DFE-570TX forcing 100TX-FD under linux 2.4.x
>
> Is it possible to disable autonegotiate, forcing this NIC to operate
> on 100 mbit full-duplex regardless what the link partner negotiates?

Yes, see
   http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
for the options.

Note that forcing the speed and duplex will (must) disable
autonegotiation.  Autonegotiation takes place on the 10baseT link beat
signal, so forcing 100baseTx makes it impossible for autonegotiation to
take place.

> Doesn't matter if it's in the eeprom or by using the tulip driver
> really, as long as it works! :-)

Forcing full duplex is a bad idea.  But if you must, use options to the
driver so that the card isn't permanently set to a non-standard mode.

> I've experienced problems with the link partner (Cisco Catalyst)
> during periods of extreme traffic load, and the link capability change
> for some reason. The card is pretty much useless to me in it's present
> state:
> Mar 26 18:31:15 nix kernel: eth0: Setting full-duplex based on MII#1 link partner capability of 41e1.

Hmmm, the link partner is correctly autonegotiating.  Usually when I see
"Cisco", the immediate response is "don't set forced full duplex, use
autonegotation or half duplex".
With autonegotiation enabled, if you force this end to full duplex, you
will screw up the link.  What specific problem are you experiencing?