[tulip] Re: Using tulip.c with 2.4.18 for a 21143 card
Wed Jul 31 16:42:03 2002
>>>>> "Narayanaswamy, Naga (Naga)" <email@example.com>:
> Try the instructions on the following page
> to see if you can compile and insmod tulip.o
> Once you test and it works you can install the new tulip.o
Here's what I've done so far:
- unpacked the stock 2.4.18 kernel source
- run "make menuconfig", and just done "Exit" and save (ie. not
neccessarily the config settings of the debian kernel, because I
don't know what they are)
- done "make dep"
- created /usr/src/modules/
- fetched tulip.c, pci-scan.c, pci-scan.h, and kern_compat.h into
gcc -I/usr/src/linux/include -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -O6 -c tulip.c
gcc -I/usr/src/linux/include -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -O6 -c pci-scan.c
- the 2.4.18 kernel has a different modules structure than what the
updates document in the above URL describes, so I did the
mv tulip.o tulip.o.deborig
mv /usr/src/modules/tulip.o .
The 2.4.18 kernel modules directory didn't have a pci-scan.o, so I
didn't copy it
- Since all of this was done when running the 2.2.19 kernel (which
works), I skipped the insmod stage. Instead I just did a reboot.
- When it came back up, the kernel reported that it couldn't load the
So now I'm back up with the trusty old 2.2.19 kernel.
Do I need the pci-scan.o file for a 2.4.18 kernel? Where should it