[tulip] Re: Using tulip.c with 2.4.18 for a 21143 card

Steinar Bang sb@dod.no
Wed Jul 31 16:42:03 2002

> Try the instructions on the following page
> 	http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html

> to see if you can compile and insmod tulip.o
> Once you test and it works you can install the new tulip.o

Here's what I've done so far:
 - unpacked the stock 2.4.18 kernel source
 - run "make menuconfig", and just done "Exit" and save (ie. not
   neccessarily the config settings of the debian kernel, because I
   don't know what they are)
 - done "make dep"
 - created /usr/src/modules/
 - fetched tulip.c, pci-scan.c, pci-scan.h, and kern_compat.h into
   this directory
 - done
	cd /usr/src/modules/
	gcc -I/usr/src/linux/include -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -O6 -c tulip.c
	gcc -I/usr/src/linux/include -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -O6 -c pci-scan.c
 - the 2.4.18 kernel has a different modules structure than what the
   updates document in the above URL describes, so I did the
   following:
	cd /lib/modules/2.4.18-686/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/
	mv tulip.o tulip.o.deborig
	mv /usr/src/modules/tulip.o .
   The 2.4.18 kernel modules directory didn't have a pci-scan.o, so I
   didn't copy it
 - Since all of this was done when running the 2.2.19 kernel (which
   works), I skipped the insmod stage.  Instead I just did a reboot.
 - When it came back up, the kernel reported that it couldn't load the
   module tulip.o

So now I'm back up with the trusty old 2.2.19 kernel.

Do I need the pci-scan.o file for a 2.4.18 kernel?  Where should it
go?

Thanx!

- Steinar