[tulip] Problems with Redhat 7.2 networking ...

Manish Kurup manish.kurup2@verizon.net
Thu Jan 17 18:41:01 2002

Hi,

   I have a Compaq Presario 5690 with a DEC 21143 (tulip chip) on the
network card. I was using RedHat 6.1 successfully with my DSL
connection, going directly into the DSL modem and PPoE (Roaring Penguin
stack). All was well until I bought a Linksys 4 port Cable/DSL router
(BEFSR41 V.2).

    Now my configured eth0 interface refuses to boot up, The Linksys
router refuses to recognize my ethernet card. I think the card tries to
configure itself as a 100Mbps interface and that really screws things
up. I know this because the 100 Mbps light on my router keeps blinking
as well as the collisions light, and I do see carrier errors and Tx
errors when I do an ifconfig. Upgrading to Redhat 7.2 doesnt seem to
solve this problem as well

   Can someone tell me how I can set up my network card to work in this
configuration. OH, the tulip-diags program says that the card is being
setup in 100Mbps full duplex and no MII transceivers found. I have tried
insmod'ing the tulip driver with different options like 0=auto, 1, 2, 3,
4 ... nothing seems to work would greatly appreciate any help on this
matter ....

Thanks in advance.

.. Manish.