[tulip] unresolved symbols in tulip.o

Jaap Versteegh @ Cas Jaap Versteegh @ Cas" <j.r.versteegh@wanadoo.nl
Tue Feb 19 08:51:01 2002

I've seen several people complain about this, but found no answers in the
mailing list archives.

I'm running SuSE 7.1 (2.2.18). and get the following unresolved symbols when
running "insmod tulip.o"
__global_cli
__global_save_flags
__global_restore_flags

I have the impression that the problem is SuSE related since a lot of the
people complaining about it are running SuSE....

Replacing the lines (in tulip.c):

save_flags(flags); cli();
by
spin_lock_irqsave(&tp->mii_lock, flags);

and

restore_flags(flags);
by
spin_unlock_irqrestore(&tp->mii_lock, flags);

solved the unresolved symbol problem and the driver is running now ! I have
no idea if it is an allowable replacement though. I got the idea from these
lines in kern_compat.h

#define spin_lock_irqsave(lock, flags) save_flags(flags); cli();
#define spin_unlock_irqrestore(lock, flags) restore_flags(flags);

Regards, Jaap Versteegh