[tulip] ANA-6944A/TX Question concerning port layout

John Cusick john@cusick.ws
Fri Dec 20 14:26:00 2002

I recently acquired a couple of Adaptec AN-8944A cards and popped one in
a linux box running kernel 2.2.19 (redhat based e-smith server). After
downloading the latest drivers and compiling them (with no problems), I
struggled to get the card operating properly.

The EEPROM is associated with Index#4, so what results is that I have to
set eth3, 2, 1, and then 0. If I let the system/module set it
automatically (setting eth0 first, etc) then the card does not negotiate
properly and will not communicate.

It ends up setting all ports to 100baseT SYM/??

As some of you know, the network scripts are fairly automatic and so all
I did was change the /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-ethX scripts to fake
it. In other words, ifcfg-eth0 is set to use dev: eth3, ifcfg-eth1 is
set to use eth2, etc

I tried reverse_probe, but that changed nothing.

Is there a way to set the card so that it configures in the expected
order? This is not a show-stopper, but it means some re-writes of lots
of perl scripts on my part to satisfy the e-smith way of doing things,
and perl is not one of my strong points.

Hopefully I made myself clear enough to make sense to you all.

Regards,

John Cusick