[tulip] Mandrake 8.2 (k. 2.4.18) + Compaq 1700 notebook w. built-in Conexant NIC

. . libogen@hotmail.com
Sun Apr 21 21:11:00 2002

I've just emailed Donald to thank him as my Conexant NIC problem is history
;-)

Definitely his very latest files were key to solving it.

So this is what I did to get the Conexant NIC working in my Compaq Presario
1700 (17XL361) notebook with Mandrake 8.2 (w. the included kernel ver.
2.4.18).

Even though some files hadn't changed, I downloaded all the files again i.e.
tulip.c, kern_compat.h, pci-scan.c, pci-scan.h and Makefile.

After a few failed compile attempts, the parameters that worked (actually
the ones from Donald's updates.html page and NOT the ones inside the c
files) were:

gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -O6 -c tulip.c -I/usr/src/linux/include -include
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h

gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -O6 -c pci-scan.c -I/usr/src/linux/include
-include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h

Next:
insmod pci-scan.o
insmod tulip.o

I backed-up the existing compressed tulip file which was in
/lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdk/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/ (not sure if this was
needed).

Then ran:
install -m 644 pci-scan.o driver.o
/lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdk/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/

Instead of editing files I loaded XWindows (I use IceWM *) and used the
Mandrake Control Center's "Connection" wizard to configure network support
(it identified the NIC as a Conexant Lanfinity!).

Since then the NIC has worked fine BUT there is one caveat! (see Andy's
email below about the need to compile a kernel) After every reboot or
shutdown and restart, you have to "insmod pci-scan.o" and "insmod tulip.o".

I'm a relative newbie and have never compiled my own kernel. If you want to
'delay' the experience of compiling a kernel ;-) , perhaps during boot-up or
for sure, when you first login, you could run a shell script (or if it's
possible, add the commands in a start-up file or just type the commands each
time :-P  )

I guess this is just delaying the inevitable but each to their own :)

Last but definitely not least, a BIG round of applause to Donald for doing
such great work!

Cheers,
Scrumpy :)

A plug follows:
* IceWM (http://www.icewm.org/) is an excellent small XWindow's WM that uses
very little resources when compared with Gnome or KDE or even WindowMaker.
If you need a minimal but user-friendly XWindows WM on a server, then IceWM
is the way to go.

It also has full GNOME compliance and 'partial' KDE compliance. I even use
it as my default WM on my PC and notebook together with some KDE apps eg.
KPPP & Konqueror, etc.

For a light WM, IceWM is easier to use IMHO than TWM, FVWM/2, especially for
someone from a MS Win background.