[tulip] AutoNegotiation problems with D-Link DFE-500TX and D-Link DFE-570TX

Frank Mikkelsen Frank.Mikkelsen@qbranch.se
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 11:36:18 +0200

------_=_NextPart_001_01C15ADD.0094BFA3

Hello!

I seem to have problems with the tulip driver and autonegotiation on
D-Link DFE-500TX and D-Link DFE-570TX network interface cards.

Problem description:
When the system is brought up, traffic will not flow through the network
interfaces even though the interfaces are correctly detected and
configured.

If I force the network interfaces to renegotiate speed and duplex,
network traffic starts to flow as supposed to.

If I bring down/up the interfaces (ifdown/ifup) while traffic flows
through the interfaces, the interfaces works and traffic continues flow
after being brought up/down.

If I bring down the interfaces and removes the driver from the kernel
(ifdown, rmmod tulip), then brings the interface back up again (ifup),
traffic will not once again flow through the interface. If I then again
force renegotiation it starts to work.

System setup:
Mandrake 8.0 with separately compiled kernel version 2.4.12
tulip module built from the development sources version 1.1.8

How do I solve this?
I know that I can alter the startup scripts to force renegotiation, but
that is not a pretty solution.
Is this a bug in the tulip driver? Any way to get around it?

When I check the MII registers on the interfaces it shows no differense
before or after renegotiation, I have also tried different network hubs
and switches, but it is the same problem.

Best regards

Frank Mikkelsen