[tulip] anyone get danpex afp1100 to do fdx?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 05:42:56 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Leo Wierzbowski wrote:

[[ My apologies if this arrives late -- I'm at Linux World Expo in
Singapore and I'm not certain when this message will leave my laptop. ]]

> If you've gotten the Danpex AFP1100 NIC to do full duplex, please let me
> know how.  I'm using tulip v0.92 and no matter what option mix I
> specify, the card only does 100Mbs HDX (options 0, with or without 0x200
> added, with or without full_duplex=1 specified) or 10mbps-serial (any
> other options, including ones that specify 100Mbs).

Normally I would say that this is impossible.  The full duplex flag
should always override the media table.

> Tulip reports on boot up:
>
> Index #0 - Media MII 100baseTx (#13) described by a 21140 non-MII (0) block.

Ohhhh, that's bad.  That appears to be an invalid media table entry.
Please send the output of 'tulip-diag -ee' so that we can see the raw
entry.

> Which worries me a bit.  The older model FE1430SC works OK with
> options=13 and full_duplex=1.  Tulip reports for the older model:
>
> Index #0 - Media MII (#11) described by a 21142 MII PHY (3) block.

This is an expected entry for MII transceivers.

> Which seems to make more sense.  Perhaps the new model's EEPROM info is
> misleading tulip?  Possibly there is nothing to do but return the NICs
> to the vendor?  Or is there some way I can tell tulip to work with this NIC?

It's possible to overwrite the EEPROM.
By seeing the actual media table entry we might be able to figure out a
work-around without doing that.