[tulip] lost link - lost forever? (FA310TX)

Lev A. Melnikovsky melnikovsky@mail.ru
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 22:34:40 +0300

Hello!

I'm new here, so please excuse me if my question is obvious, well
discussed or whatever. Please, just direct me to the FAQ (if any?).

The problem is that I have 2 computers (Celeron and my good-n-old
486) connected without a hub. They do work together (I should say it
was not as easy to make tulip work with the 486 one, but this is
another story) and provide some 1.5 MB/s rate with ftp.
Unfortunately, if the link was lost for a short while the driver
assumes it was lost forever. This is pretty annoying, since when I
reboot one machine, I have to restart tulip on the second one, for my
[very] local area network to operate. So I wonder if demented is the
tulip or me? Or, perhaps, the hardware? How can I fix it?

I've got 2.4.2 kernel, 2 NETGEAR FA310TX cards and a twisted pair 4
meters long. I also have some programming experience, but I'm
absolutely ignorant about Linux kernel-mode and Ethernet. So, when I
tried to look through the code I realized that I have no idea what to
do. Could somebody, please, help me?

advTHANKSance
--
                                           Leva.