[tulip] Network failover via two NICs in a single server

Peter Svensson petersv@psv.nu
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 11:15:36 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Debbie Tropiano wrote:

> I'm a bit of a Linux newbie, and while I perused the tulip list
> archives, I didn't see a complete answer to my question.
>
> We have a single server (Linux 6.2 -- 2.2.16 running an Adaptec RAID)
> and we'd like to have automatic network failover by having two NICs in
> this system.  If this would give us load balancing, that would be a nice
> side effect, however the redundancy is the primary goal.  Other possibly
> pertinent information is that our network runs Cisco 3524-XL switches.
>
> Any advice about how to do this would be greatly appreciate.  Which
> NICs, if any, would allow this?  What drivers we would need?  Etc...

Combined with the linux bridging support you may get the behaviour you
desire. I think the project is hosted on sourceforge, but they appear to
be down for the moment so I cannot check that. We are looking into using
the bridging code to get redundancy.

Peter
--
Peter Svensson      ! Pgp key available by finger, fingerprint:
<petersv@psv.nu>    ! 8A E9 20 98 C1 FF 43 E3  07 FD B9 0A 80 72 70 AF