[tulip] Most ethernets record?

David S. Miller davem@redhat.com
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 10:16:10 -0700 (PDT)

Ben Greear writes:
 > Well, the last thing I remember hearing from you was that the
 > VLAN code would go into 2.5, if ever.  There was no specific
 > gripe list or suggestions on how to make it more palatable to you,
 > just 'NO'.  How the hell am I supposed to figure out how to
 > change things to fit your particular taste!

I think I said more than 'NO'.  Most likely I said something like:
"There are enough things in 2.4.x already, so I have to start saying
 no to people and draw a line somewhere."

 > Maybe the filter is too tight in your area, and maybe that is choking
 > off both module writers such as myself as well as other coders
 > more interested in drivers.

At times I think it should be tighter. :-)

 > I find it hard to not take it personally.  The code is technically
 > correct in that it seems to cause no harm to existing users, and it
 > actively provides the 802.1Q VLAN feature that some people like.  It
 > has been stable for a year now (2.2 and 2.4).  Every piece of VLAN code has #ifdef's
 > around it, so it will not impact the kernel at all if it is not selected
 > for inclusion.  The only reasons left for not including
 > it must relate to style of the code and/or personal dislike of the
 > entire feature by yourself.  Now add to it the fact that I have never
 > even been notified of what the reasons for exclusions are, and you
 > have a good recipe for disgruntlement.  I'm used to dealing with this
 > kind of beauracracy at the day job, but it's not fun to find it here
 > too...

Erm...

Instead of babbling endlessly, why isn't there the latest copy of the
patch in my mailbox yet, eh?  Are you going to complain about it not
being in there yet, or are you going to work with me to get the
changes installed?

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com