[tulip] Re: Most ethernets record?

Ben Greear greearb@candelatech.com
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 08:57:06 -0700

Tim Dixon wrote:

> > FWIW, you can only use up to eth15 on 2.2.x kernels with a modified tulip
> > driver.  This restriction has been removed in 2.4.x.
>
> Actually, we regularly use 20 ports on a 2.0.x kernel (it's a simple patch).
>
> Anynoe have experience of the D-Link 4-port cards and the 2.4.x drivers??
> We'd quite like to migrate to a newer kernel, but are rather cautious given
> the, er, divergence that seems to have arisen in the development paths...

The D-LINKs do not work 100% with RH 7.1 kernel, at least.  (Auto-negotiate
problems, wouldn't run at 100bt-FD, even fixed speed.)  I haven't tried the
later drivers, but I should be getting a new D-LINK in the next 2-3 days, and I'll
be sure to try it again.  The D-LINKs did work at 100bt-HD when forced by
mii-diag, though....

I'm also getting an Adaptec I found on Ebay one of these days, so I'll have
another 4-Port card to play with...

Interestingly enough, the only 4-port card I've heard of that works well at
high speeds (ie full-duplex) is Sun's QFE card, and they are expensive as hell...
(I haven't tried them myself, though...)

Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>          <Ben_Greear@excite.com>