[tulip] ADMtek AL985 <--> Open Transport 2.7.6 Ack!

noise factor noisefactor@netscape.net
Fri, 01 Jun 2001 10:33:11 -0400

Can anyone shed light on why an older Mac with
older Open Transport would have no trouble with my
tulip driver / ADMtek AL985 Centaur-P combination,
but my new Ti Book and Open Transport 2.7.6 can't
do the same?  The tulip-diag says that the ethernet
card is in half-duplex mode.  I assume the Titanium
can support 10/100 - I seem to recall reading as much,
anyway.

Output looks like this:
Index #1: Found a ADMtek AL985 Centaur-P adapter at 0xa400.
 Comet duplex is reported in the MII status registers.
 Transmit started, Receive started, half-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
  The transmit threshold is 128.
  Comet MAC address registers 006d0300 ffffc191
  Comet multicast filter 8000000000000000.

When I ping the Mac, all packets are lost.  A subsequent
"arp" lists the mac's ethernet hardware address as incomplete.
Nevertheless, I have been using this driver and card with
an 8100 and a rather old version of Open Transport without
any problems.  What gives?

andY