[tulip] Conexant LANfinity is working in 2.2 and 2.4!

Kent Hunt kenthunt@yahoo.com
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 07:55:19 -0700 (PDT)

Donald,

> > OPTIONSCOMMON = -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -Wall
> > -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -I/usr/src/linux/include
> > -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing
> > -Wno-trigraphs -fno-common -pipe
> > -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686
> -DMODVERSIONS
> >  -include
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h
>
> Ahhh, I suspect that  "-DMODVERSIONS" is the
> critical option.

Surprise, surprise. I dropped -DMODVERSIONS and it
still works. I went down to

CC = gcc
OPTIONSCOMMON = -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -I/usr/src/linux/include
-include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h
OPTIONSTULIP = $(OPTIONSCOMMON)
OPTIONSPCISN = $(OPTIONSCOMMON)
all:
        $(CC) $(OPTIONSTULIP) -c tulip.c
        $(CC) $(OPTIONSPCISN) -c pci-scan.c
clean:
        rm -f *~ pci-scan.o tulip.o

with a still working prototype. Interestingly, the
missing symbol errors appear when I drop the last
option in OPTIONSCOMMON. It seems that 2.4 likes
modversion.h be processed before anything.

> I'll have to check out how to automatically add it
> to the 2.4 compile.
> Under 2.2 and earlier I did

> #if defined(MODVERSIONS)  ||
> defined(CONFIG_MODVERSIONS)
> allow dropping  -DMODVERSIONS

Again, -DMODVERSIONS can be dropped. We have to figure
out if we can drop -include <linux/modversions.h>.
Note that this shows up when I compile my kernel so
maybe it has to be there for some reason.

There are however other problems with 2.4 kernels.
mii-diag simply gives:
Using the default interface 'eth0'.
SIOCGMIIPHY on eth0 failed: Operation not supported
This did not happen with 2.2. I did not pass any
options for loading pci-scan.o and tulip.o in neither
of the kernel versions.

The other problem is that I get in my syslog lots of
kernel: Warning: kfree_skb on hard IRQ d0874b14

Kent