[tulip] Netgear FA310TX

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 00:18:44 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Bryan Burns wrote:

> I am setting up a Beowulf cluster at my school (Illinois State University)
> and cannot get the Netgear cards to work, here is my setup:

You should be specific about the chip used.  Netgear, much like Linksys,
used a variety of chips without changing the part number.

> I have tried every mode for the cards

In general, you should not override the default unless you are certain
you need to.

> Here is my output from tulip-diag with options set to 13:

Bad...

> tulip-diag.c:v2.06 1/8/2001 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
>  http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
> Index #1: Found a Lite-On 82c168 PNIC adapter at 0xfc00.

> And here is mii-diag:
> Using the default interface 'eth0'.
> Basic registers of MII PHY #1:  3000 7809 0040 6212 0081 0000 0000 0000.
>  Basic mode control register 0x3000: Auto-negotiation enabled.
>  Basic mode status register 0x7809 ... 7809.
>    Link status: not established.

OK, this is the problem.
You don't have link beat.

Check your cable.
Use the 'mii-diag' to monitor if the cable is working.
When you have link beat, restart the driver with no options.