[tulip] Starfire, RH 7.0 and the Adaptec Quartet64

Ed Padin ohdamnthathurts@yahoo.com
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 17:26:33 -0500

I aplogize if what I put forth below is trivial, but here goes...

> Greetings, list -
> I'm trying to get an Adaptec Quartet 64 quad port adapter to work in
> RH 7.0.  I'm having no luck.  I've gotten pci-scan.c and starfire.c to
> compile without error (using the instructions for RH7.0 from the website),
> but although the modules load without error, they don't seem to actually
do
> anything with the card - ie after installation in linuxconf, an
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/network reload yields no new working ports...they just
time
> out.

On the console, as root, try unloading any and all modules.

do lsmod and them rmmod until the list is empty.

You may have to do ifconfig eth? down for eth card drivers.

Then do:

insmod pci-scan
insmod starfire
ifconfig eth0

If you get a response then try connecting a known good network connection
and do:

ifconfig eth0 up
tcpdump -i eth0

If you see a bunch of net traffic then the driver is probably working and
the redhat automated stuff is not.

Hope it helps.