[tulip] LinkSys LNE100TX v4.1 cards!

scrapmetaldevil@home.com scrapmetaldevil@home.com
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 22:46:22 +0000 (/etc/localtime)

Okay here is the deal...I have gotten pci-scan and tulip to compile wonderfully under
slakware 7.1. No problem...the kernel sources carry modversions.h and it takes seconds
to install. However, using Debian I get the error, pci-scan and tulip will not
compile with the 2.2.16 kernel sources installed. I get the error messages:
pci-scan.c:56: linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory
In file included from pci-scan.c:67:
kern_compat.h:42: linux/modversions.h: No such file for directory

So I check my /usr/src/linux/include/linux dir and yes, we have no modversions.h
Now, I didn't think this would be a problem if I installed current sources for the
2.2.16 kernel, but this is not the case. The help file on the site says to
remove the -DMODVERSIONS flag from the compile command, but the funny thing is
the compile command at the end of the pci-scan.c file does not use that flag!
So, here I am floppy copying from one machine to another bits here and there and
nothing seems to be the cure. I also had this problem when compilling under redhat and mandrake.
I just used the simple command : gcc -DMODULE -O6 -c pci-scan.c and that is all
slakware needed(also for tulip.c), but this thing will NOT compile
for debian. What am I missing here? I copied the modversions.h file from a
2.2.17 system just to see if it would at least find the file in /usr/src/linux/include/linux
but nope, the same error messages. I am currently using Storm Linux Open Ed., which is a
debian child of sorts. But it won't compile under the main debian distro either...with full development
installs and also the header packages...I can't seem to locate the header packages anywhere
for 2.2.16 like Mandrake has...any insight would be appreciated...I'd like to
get a look at debian on the box I have before I have to say that slak is the only thing that will ever owrk on this box.