[tulip] HP Pavilion 5290 and Accton EN2242 NIC

Paw paul@lechnar.com
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:27:25 -0500

Hi all.

I've just (4 days ago) bought an HP Pavilion 5290 notebook, which comes with
a built-in NIC.  Research on the net (and in the pre-installed Win ME)
suggests that the hardware is actually an Accton EN2242.

I've installed RedHat 7.0.90 (Fisher) which ships with kernel rev
2.4.0-0.99.11  It is unable to detect this flavor of NIC.

I'm unsure of the status of tulip development wrt the 2.4 kernel series.
The tulip driver page here at scyld.com does mention that since the 2.4
interface is in a state of flux there isn't any stable code yet, but that
page looks to be about a month old.  There is mention of tulip 0.92j
supporting this hardware, but attempts to hack that version into the kernel
source tree have failed miserably (I'm not a kernel/C expert!).  It looks
like the driver source files have moved from drivers/net to
drivers/net/tulip, and tulip.c has become tulip_core.c and possibly some
other files as well.  At any rate, the version claims to be 0.9.13a dated
Jan 20, 2001.  attempts to modprobe this module using:
modprobe tulip options=11,0x1c00 result in "init_module: no such device"

examining /proc/pci yields:

Bus 0, device 16, function 0:
 Ethernet controller:  PCI device 1113:1216  (Accton Technology Corporation)
(rev 17).
 IRQ 11.
 Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=255.Max Lat=255.
 I/O at 0x1c00 [0x1cff].
 non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe8000000 [0xe80003ff].

If any folks have had success with this hardware, even on a different kernel
(i.e. 2.2.16) please post here or e-mail if you'd like.  Any advice would be
much appreciated.

Aside from the NIC support, I'm very happy with RedHat Fisher.  It supports
my sound card (Maestro3) and Video Chipset (Savage IX/MV) out of the box.
I'm reluctant to drop back to 2.2.16, as I'll lose sound card support :(

Paul