[tulip] tulip on solaris

Thomas Dodd ted@cypress.com
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 10:20:10 -0600

Donald Becker wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, minchu mo wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know how to convert the linux version of
> > tulip.c to solaris version?
> >
> > I have installed Intel Solaris 8 and need a unix
> > version of tulip as network driver.
>
> It would be a violation of the GPL to distribute a version of the Linux
> tulip driver ported to Solaris.  Well, at least until Scott McNealy GPLs
> Solaris (scheduled just after the evolution of porcine aviation).

Why would a port of tulip.c to Solaris be a GPL violation?
As long as the changes are published, isn't it OK.
Or a binary with the sources available?

I have the Solaris ports of many GPL apps, and many came in binary
form. gcc, emacs, GNOME, glib, gtk, GiMP, and ghostscript to name
a few well known ones. GNOME it's required libraries are even
on a CD from Sun that came with Solaris8, the Sparc version.

What am I missing here?
Since sun released the Solaris source code, I expected to
see ports of drivers to Solaris, both Sparc and *ntel,
now that the needed files, like the linux kernel headers,
are available cheap.

	-Thomas