[tulip] loading tulip.o and pci-scan.o at boot up

Mario Simoni mario@ece.gatech.edu
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 13:23:31 -0400

I'm running Red Had 6.2 with kernel 2.2.14-5.0 and am trying to install
a linksys LNE100TX ethernet card.  I have successfully compiled the
pci-scan.c and tulip.c using the .rpm file. I have used depmod -a and it
has successfully updated the modules.dep file. However, if I type

modprobe tulip

it will not load the driver. If I use

modprobe pci-scan
modprobe tulip

it will not load the driver. I have to use

insmod pci-scan
insmod tulip

to load the modules. Once the modules are loaded I can "see" my ethernet
card using ifconfig eth0. However something still appears to be missing
because it will not initialize eth0 (it keeps giving me a [failed]
message) on boot up, and I'm trying to configure my network for DHCP but
when I use the netconfig utility it won't let me select that option.

I would greatly appreciate any input. Thank you

Mario Simoni

Mario Simoni                               mario@ece.gatech.edu
Ph.D. Student                              (404) 894-9666 Lab
Neuromorphic Sensorimotor Systems Lab      (404) 894-9959 Fax
Georgia Institute of Technology            (404) 206-9641 Home
Atlanta, GA 30332-0250