[tulip] Compiling in the tulip driver

james hill dragonking7@mediaone.net
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 13:19:23 -0500

I have kernel 2.2.16-22smp install currently. I have installed the
***source*** rpm. I am using RH7.0

> For example, if you have a RedHat 2.2 kernel-source RPM installed,
> (please note ****source****), then since that puts it in
/usr/src/linux
> (against the advice of certain respected people), the switch:

if I use the command 'rpm -ivh kernel-2.2.16-22.src.rpm' this only
places stuff at two locations:

a bunch files goes to /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES and spec files goes to
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS not to /usr/src/linux  There is no directory path
my system such as that either real or symbolic. I tried running the
compiler right the rpm command and it did not work. And after much
fumbling about I came across this article:

http://www.scyld.com/pipermail/tulip/2000-October/002685.html

In the end I have had no luck with ANY "solution" that has been posted
on the this board. Everybody keeps saying this crap about "oh you need
to use this compiler or that compiler" and "use -I/usr/src/linux" or
"-I/usr/src/linux/include"  tag. None of this has worked. I have already
posted what it took to get them to compile. I am not sure I did that
correct.

http://www.tux.org/hypermail/linux-tulip/this-month/0100.html

I have, however, finally gotten those .c files to compile. the only
problem I have now is pci-scan.o has bunch of unresolved symbols and
tulip cannot initialize ie it is reporting device busy. I know my BIOS
is reporting the IRQ to be 10 but linux thinks it's IRQ16 and I don't
know of any way of mapping it. I also have PNP in my BIOS turned-off.
Just so no one is guessing I have a Linksys EtherFast LNE100TX NIC. I
have ran out of Ideas. Any card I go out to buy I will have to compile
the drivers for and I will more then likely run into the same problems.
I guess I could go to another distribution but I may find myself in the
same boat I'm in now. Welcome to World of Linux =)

Your crack smokin' linux buddy

Jimmy