[tulip] device or resource busy

Hank Barta hbarta@enteract.com
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 11:04:33 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 18 Nov 2000, Donald Becker wrote:

> No, this looks like a standard non-HPNA Centaur chip, albeit with a bogus
> EEPROM.
>
> > [root@pswin /root]# /home/hbarta/download/linux/kernel/tulip/x/tulip-diag
> > tulip-diag.c:v2.04 9/26/2000 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
> >  The Comet MAC registers are ba45ba45 ffffba45 filter 8000000000000000.
> > WARNING: The EEPROM is missing or erased!
>
> Evil, evil, evil.
>
> What does tulip-diag -ee report?

tulip-diag.c:v2.04 9/26/2000 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a ADMtek AL985 Centaur-P adapter at 0xe000.
 Port selection is 10mbps half duplex (Link is on)
 Transmit started, Receive started, half-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
  The transmit threshold is 128.
 The Comet MAC registers are ba45ba45 ffffba45 filter 8000000000000000.
EEPROM size is 8.
WARNING: The EEPROM is missing or erased!
  Ethernet MAC Station Address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff.
  Default connection type 'Default'.
  PCI IDs Vendor ffff Device ffff  Subsystem ffff ffff
  PCI min_grant 255 max_latency 255.
  CSR18 power-up setting 0xffff****.
EEPROM contents:
  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
 ID block CRC 0xfa (vs. 0xff).
  Full contents CRC 0x6a15 (read as 0xffff).

> Who makes this card?  Does it appear to have an EEPROM?

    This is a Linksys LNE100Tx v4.1. I'm not sure what the EEPROM
    would look like. There's a largish socket at the end furthest
    from the bulkhead with a small surface mount chip mounted within
    it. I can't read what's on it at the moment because its in my
    box and powered up. If you tell me what to look for, I'll pull
    it and examine it.

    I have two cards like this that came in a kit with a 10/100
    router and they both behave the same, so I don't think the
    problems are a sample defect, although they could be members
    of a run of bad cards. The other card is in a box running Win95
    and seems to be working OK.

    thanks,
    hank

--
Hank Barta                            White Oak Software Inc.
hbarta@enteract.com                   Predictable Systems by Design.(tm)