[tulip] device or resource busy

Hank Barta hbarta@enteract.com
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 22:58:29 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Donald Becker wrote:

> ADMtek has recently released a new 1/10-PNA (with 10/100) version of the
> Centaur.  This new chip is only support by the privately released version.
>
> I'm spending the rest of today working on and testing the Tulip driver,
> incorporating several of the recent bug fixes:
>    21143 autonegotiation when there is no EEPROM table
>    PNIC and PNIC-II lossage when link beat is temporarily lost (two distinct
>       problems)

tulip.c:v0.92n 11/3/2000  Written by Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com>
  http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
eth0: ADMtek Centaur-P rev 17 at 0xd0046000, 45:BA:45:BA:45:BA, IRQ 15.
eth0:  MII transceiver #1 config 3000 status 786d advertising 01e1.

    Is that what this is? If so, I'd be glad to help test. At
    present, all I can do is ping other hosts (and they can ping
    this box.) I have not successfully started any TCP connections.
    Based on the LEDs on my router and counters visible in
    /proc/net/dev, the other hosts are trying to respond, but the
    incoming messages just don't seem to get recognized.

    tulip-diag reports:

[root@pswin /root]# /home/hbarta/download/linux/kernel/tulip/x/tulip-diag
tulip-diag.c:v2.04 9/26/2000 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a ADMtek AL985 Centaur-P adapter at 0xe000.
 Port selection is 10mbps half duplex (Link is on)
 Transmit started, Receive started, half-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
  The transmit threshold is 128.
 The Comet MAC registers are ba45ba45 ffffba45 filter 8000000000000000.
WARNING: The EEPROM is missing or erased!
 Use '-a' or '-aa' to show device registers,
     '-e' to show EEPROM contents, -ee for parsed contents,
  or '-m' or '-mm' to show MII management registers.

    (I've ruled out network configuration problems by removing this
    card and reinstalling an older Linksys "EtherPCI" (21041-AA)
    card and (with the stock driver that comes with 2.2.17) all is
    almost well. (transferring large files between machines went
    at about 200KB/s and there were lots of errors.)

    many thanks,
    hank

Hank Barta                            White Oak Software Inc.
hbarta@enteract.com                   Predictable Systems by Design.(tm)
		Beautiful Sunny Winfield, Illinois