[tulip] Problems loading Tulip modules in 2.2.15 kernel

Jim Morris Jim@Morris.net
Mon, 29 May 2000 04:02:04 -0500

Hi all.

I'm having a strange problem here....

I've built a Linux 2.2.15 kernel, using the tulip and old_tulip modules
included.  Works great on my uniprocessor system.  I tarred up the
kernel directory, and then unpacked the it on my SMP system, and built
with IDENTICAL kernel compile-time options EXCEPT for the SMP support
option.  I.e. all I changed in "make menuconfig" was that one option.

When trying to load the tulip or old_tulip modules, I get an error like
this:

[root@darkstar /root]# modprobe old_tulip
/lib/modules/2.2.15-jfm/net/old_tulip.o: unresolved symbol __global_cli
/lib/modules/2.2.15-jfm/net/old_tulip.o: unresolved symbol
__global_save_flags
/lib/modules/2.2.15-jfm/net/old_tulip.o: unresolved symbol
__global_restore_flas

That got chopped off a little pasting it between windows, but you get
the picture.

Is there some sort of problem with the stock tulip drivers on an SMP
2.2.15 kernel?  Or do I have something else going on here....

Thanks!

BTW, I have a reason that I need to use an older driver, and not the
latest available. This system has two Linksys LNE100TX cards that only
work with the Linksys supplied driver. So in reality, I started off
trying to use the Linksys driver, and saw the problem. But switching to
the kernel supplied modules makes no difference...

Again, thanks for any suggestions...

--
| Jim Morris | Jim@Morris.net |