Adaptec ANA6944TX 21140 Issues

Christopher E. Brown cbrown@denalics.net
Mon May 8 15:07:31 2000

	I have a fairly fun issue with the tulip based Adaptec quad
cards I am hoping to get some help on.

	I have multiple machines using a Tyan s1590s mainboard with 1
- 3 ANA6944 quad 21140 cards, some work perfectly, others refuse to
operate.  I have tried multiple mainboard revisions, bios revisions,
all the cards are same rev/series.  All configurations are the same
(between working and non working test pairs), same PCI slots, same
bios setting, same kernels.

	2 exactly the same systems, one functions perfectly, the other
does not, 89H, 91, and 92 tulip drivers *all* fail.  Tested under
2.2.7ac4 - 2.2.15pre20, revisions 1.1 - 1.5 of the 1590, with BIOS
1.14, 1.16, and 1.16c.

	Normal case is, card is detected find, in proper order/etc,
all MACS com up fine.  Then, either all ports fail speed negs, *or*
ports 2 and 4 work (most of the time), 1 and 3 fail.

	Somthing is up with he the MII autoneg stuff (it appears), but
I am at a loss here, I can find no differences between working and
failing systems.

	What info should I provide using what tools, kernel and driver
versions?  I have tulip-diag/mii-diag/mii_look/etc.

Thanks
Chris

 ---
As folks might have suspected, not much survives except roaches,
and they don't carry large enough packets fast enough...
        --About the Internet and nuclear war.