Macronix issue: link light extinguishes?

Scott Bronson bronson@trestle.com
Thu Mar 30 19:40:28 2000

Well, get this.  As you know, I tried two separate types of cards and
two separate drivers (tulip/Macronix and rtl8139), and the problem
appeared on both of them.  This usually means the problem is with the
computer or bios, not the card or driver.

Well, last night I borrowed a 3com 3c90x card from a friend, plugged it
in, and it fired right up.  First try.  So I used it to download Debian
Potato to my machine, moving to kernel 2.2.14 (Storm Linux uses
2.2.13), and now the tulip driver drives my Macronix card just fine.

So, whatever the problem was, it afflicted the tulip and rtl8139
drivers identically.  I gave the 3com card back to my friend and
my computer is happily networking away.

Thanks for the help!

	- Scott