What is the problem with the Linksys LNE 10/100 card?

Bryan Stillwell arcane@verinet.com
Mon Mar 27 12:16:01 2000

> > Also I would just like to say that my LNE100TX worked right off the bat
> > with 2.3.99pre3.  :)
>
> The in-kernel driver or Donald's driver?

The in-kernel driver was the one that worked right off the bat for me.  I
could try Donald's driver on one of my other computers, but the last time
I tried it (I think it was 0.91q or something) it worked.

> FWIW My NetGear works with either tulip 0.91x (from donald) or the
> modified tulip from NetGear themselves -- but neither driver works very
> well.  Symptoms in both drivers are the same:  network communications
> proceeds, media negotiation works, but 7-10% packet loss is observed
> (between two hosts on the same, quiet, 100bT hub)

I'm getting 0% packet loss on my network from any computer to any other
computer.  My network consists of 6 LNE100TXs and 1 Netgear
forget_model_number (the cheap one).  I also have a Linksys 16 port 10/100
hub and my roommate just bought a linksys 5 port 10/100 hub.  I believe
all the cards use the PNIC-II chipset, but the netgear might be using the
ordinary PNIC chipset.  All of the LNE100TXs use the driver from the
second floppy except for the one I just installed 2.3.99pre3 on.  The
Netgear worked right away from a Debian 2.2 frozen install.  It's running
2.2.14 I believe.  If you need me to do any testing on this network, feel
free to ask.  :)

Thanks,
Bryan