problem with tulip driver

Nick Holmes nick.holmes@bluewave.com
Mon Mar 27 11:29:31 2000

Hi,

Most of the time the tulip driver that I am using for an on-board ethernet
controller [identifiing itself as Macronix 98715 PMAC adapter at 0xd000.]
works fine, but from time to time I get the following message :

kernel: eth0: Transmit timed out, status e43e0000, CSR12 000050ca,
resetting...

At this point,  interface has gone down ... and it then stays down.  the
machine happily continues to run everything but the all important network
interface.

my kernel version is:

Linux 2.2.10 #3 Thu Nov 25 14:34:56 GMT 1999 i686 unknown

& I am using the 0.91g version of the tulip driver.

If there are operating reasons for upgrading, I will do so, but I would
prefer not to if I don't have a reasonable probablility of removing this
rather painful bug.

any help with this problem would be very much appreciated

TIA

nick

oh, and basic diag output is:

tulip-diag.c:v1.19 10/2/99 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
Index #1: Found a Macronix 98715 PMAC adapter at 0xd000.
  Port selection is 10mpbs-serial 100baseTx scrambler, full-duplex.
  Transmit started, Receive started, full-duplex.
   The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
   The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
   The transmit threshold is 72.
  Use '-a' or '-aa' to show device registers,
      '-e' to show EEPROM contents, -ee for parsed contents,
   or '-m' or '-mm' to show MII management registers.

Nick Holmes - Systems Manager
nick.holmes@bluewave.com