2.3.99-pre3 and network hang

andy barlak root@tosko.alm.com
Fri Mar 24 23:06:25 2000

Replying to my own posting...
additional diagnostics  and testing other kernels and other motherboards
pointed to a hardware configuration problem.
comparing systems shows
same motherboard, same tulip card, changed to running the same
kernel-2.2.14, same tulip.c- "tulip.c:v0.91g-ppc 7/16/99".

Comparing bios settings showed one difference, under pnp/pci
configuration:  "CPU to PCI Write Buffer"  was disabled on the system
with the network hang problem.  Changing the bios feature to "enabled"
caused the network hang to be much more difficult to induce.

An excellent way to cause the problem was to run "xv some.jpg" on the
remote and display on the local system.  Before the bios change,
a 120k jpg would hang the network at least three times before it
completely displayed once.  With the bios change it displays completely,
no hangs, repeatedly.

I have induced a hang or two with incessant redisplaying of the image,
however, so there is still a problem.