What is the problem with the Linksys LNE 10/100 card?

Bryan Stillwell arcane@verinet.com
Fri Mar 24 12:20:37 2000

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Christopher Smith wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 05:23:47PM -0700, Bryan Stillwell wrote:
> > That's incorrect.  The drivers on the second floppy that comes with the
> > card will work, but getting Donald's latest drivers will also work.  I
> > know, because when I first got the card I didn't know that the drivers
> > were on the second floppy.  So I looked at the source for tulip.c in the
> > kernel and noticed that Donald Becker was the original author.  I went to
> > his web site, joined this list and stated my problems in detail.  (You can
> > check the archive).  Donald fixed the driver within a day after I
> > explained my problems and the PNIC-II version of the LNE100TX has worked
> > since.
> >
> > Just make sure you get all the files you need to compile the driver.  I
> > believe that they are:
> >
> > tulip.c
> > pci-netif.c
> > pci-netif.h
> > k_compat.h
> >
> > You'll have to do the modprobe on pci-netif.o before tulip.o once they're
> > done compiling.  Also if you're following the compiling information I
> > think the bottom of pci-netif.c says to compile with pci-scan.c.  You'll
> > have to change that command to use pci-netif.c instead.
>
> A few questions. First, what version of Donald's driver works for you?
> Secondly, if I understand you correctly I need to install Donald's PCI
> scanning patches as well, is that correct?

I haven't tested it out lately, but I believe the latest 0.91x works fine.
And you are correct that you'll need Donald's PCI scanning driver as well,
that's why I believe it doesn't work with a kernel later than 2.3.30.

Bryan